Episode 198 / December 5, 2022

Indian Parents’ Love For Government Jobs with KuKu FM Founder

46 min

Episode 198 / December 5, 2022

Indian Parents’ Love For Government Jobs with KuKu FM Founder

46 min
Listen on

As of today, only 15% of India’s population lives in the top 50 cities, and the remaining 85% which accounts to around 119 crores, live in towns or villages.

According to an ASER survey, the availability of smartphones in rural India was 67.6 % in 2021, primarily bought for kids’ studies amid the pandemic. With this, we can make out that even in towns and villages, the penetration of smartphones and the internet is huge and people in villages are driven to spend higher to provide better learning resources to their children.

This exact learning is what drove our guest, Lal Chand Bisu, Founder, Kuku FM, to build a product for Bharat.

In today’s episode, we talk with Lal Chand Bisu to understand, how he was able to build a subscription model product for the mass Indians and what have been his learnings over the years while scaling Kuku FM.

Notes –

01:50 – Intro

02:20 – Do the mass Indians pay for subscriptions?

03:46 – How do Indians define value?

05:37 – How is Kukufm an aspirational product for the masses?

08:05 – Indians consuming aspirational content

11:33 – Split of content on Kuku FM

12:36 – Starting Non-series content in form of Mini-episodes

16:25 – Popularity of Personal Finance on Kuku FM

18:24 – Family Background and the entrepreneurial path he chose

20:26 – Zoho Sponsored – Prashant Ganti on what makes Zolo Payroll different from its competitors?

28:46 – How was he motivated to do something out of his league?

32:36 – Why do people in towns or villagers aspire for Government jobs?

36:44 – Convincing Indian consumers to pay for Non-fictional content subscriptions



  • Prime is a high conviction, high support investor, backing star teams with differentiated ideas. All partners at Prime work actively with the entrepreneurs post-investment to accelerate building a great company. Prime focuses on building differentiating companies whose solutions are 10X better and are powered by technology and product. Prime is now investing from its fourth fund of $ 120M and is often the first institutional investor in category-defining startups such as MyGate, HackerEarth, Niyo, Glip, Bolt, and Wheelseye. To know more about Prime visit
  • Being an entrepreneur means balancing a lot of tasks, and payroll is just one of many. But handling payroll manually is particularly time-consuming and chaotic. Teams inevitably end up processing inaccurate salaries, struggling with compliance, or losing track as your business expands. With Zoho Payroll, you can automate routine payroll tasks such as salary calculations, payments, payslip distribution, and compliance. Set up payroll once, and as your employee count grows, your payroll process scales without you spending additional time or effort. Try our 30-day free trial, and simplify your journey as an entrepreneur with Zoho Payroll.
Vector Graphic Vector Graphic

Know when new episodes are released. Subscribe to our newsletter!

Please enter a valid email id