Episode 201 / December 26, 2022
The Dramatic RISE & FALL of EdTech with Manan Khurma, Founder & Chairman, Cuemath
- Why the DARLING Edtech in 2021 became a taboo in 2022 for VCs?
- What do students really expect?
- Why do Edtech entrepreneurs fail?
- And what’s the most important factor in EdTech Success?
Today we talk with Manan Khurma, Founder at Cuemath who answers all these questions for us.
During our conversation he shares how building an Education venture is not like building on a rocket ship, but building with trust.
He has been building Cuemath for almost the last decade and he highlights that unlike the common notion or FOMO behind going online being an Edtech venture, right before Covid, only 5% of their entire revenue came via Online classes. His first question to any new entrepreneur looking to enter the Edtech space is if they are ready to give atleast two decades to build their educational venture. Further during the episode Manan shares their views on performance marketing in edtech, building trust for students and parents, and much more.
02:21 – Manan’s journey to becoming a teacher and entrepreneur
04:31 – What’s his view of Edtech landscape both in India and globally?
08:08 – Which are the institutions that inspire him?
11:55 – Going down the attention span of kids in the last decade
17:45 – Certain kids already being great at grasping new things
21:19 – Zoho Shoutout
23:30 – Getting answers has become really easy
27:39 – Real learning happens when a student puts their brain in isolation to a problem
29:07 – Increase in the number of screens in our home
33:11 – Thesis on how not to build an Education venture
39:31 – Mercenary category of Entrepreneur
45:15 – Current scale of Cuemath
47:55 – Their approach to starting coding courses
49:30 – Essence of Analytical thinking
50:54 – Goal to build a strong base and system
51:52 – Best way to build a 1,00,000 paid students base in Educational venture
54:22 – How have the customer acquisition channels evolved?
- Prime is a high conviction, high support investor, backing star teams with differentiated ideas. All partners at Prime work actively with the entrepreneurs post-investment to accelerate building a great company. Prime focuses on building differentiating companies whose solutions are 10X better and are powered by technology and product. Prime is now investing from its fourth fund of $ 120M and is often the first institutional investor in category-defining startups such as MyGate, HackerEarth, Niyo, Glip, Bolt, and Wheelseye. To know more about Prime visit primevp.in
- Being an entrepreneur means balancing a lot of tasks, and payroll is just one of many. But handling payroll manually is particularly time-consuming and chaotic. Teams inevitably end up processing inaccurate salaries, struggling with compliance, or losing track as your business expands. With Zoho Payroll, you can automate routine payroll tasks such as salary calculations, payments, payslip distribution, and compliance. Set up payroll once, and as your employee count grows, your payroll process scales without you spending additional time or effort. Try our 30-day free trial, and simplify your journey as an entrepreneur with Zoho Payroll.